Paola SiveraSoftware Engineer European Southern Observatory (ESO)Science Operation Software – Software Engineering & Quality
Software quality assurance and testing engineer at ESO
Software quality assurance for the SPARTA and E-ELT projects
Software testing for the ALMA project
Integration and Test Subsystem Leader at ESO for ALMA Project
Coordination of the Integration and Test Subsystem (6 testers distributed among Japan, New Mexico and
– Interaction with the Release Manager and ALMA Subsystems Leaders to coordinate priorities and
schedules for the ALMA software releases
– Definition of the integration and test procedures
– Preparation of test plans and test reports for Management and Stakeholders
– Execution of the tests and analysis of the results
– Participation, in the first years of activities within the ALMA project, in establishing the software
engineering standards for the ALMA computing group, together with the Software Engineering Subsystem.
– Coordination of the Test Engineering Working Group for the ESO Software Development Division (7
testers working in various software projects handled by ESO)
Software configuration control manager – VLT Project
– Integration and test of the control software produced for the VLT project.
– Software quality assurance
– Management of the programming standards
– Preparation of a VLT software release twice a year
– Handling of patches for the releases, bug fixes and improvements through the organization of periodical Software Configuration Control Boards
– Integration and testing of the produced software in the control model (set of machines to simulate the VLT units and instruments)
– Installation of the release on the telescopes at Paranal
– Preparation and definition of procedures to make installations and development work easier or more efficient.
Software and system engineer
– Management and configuration of a high availability system (supposed to be available 24h/day, 7
days/week) for the operations of ca 300 branch offices (agencies) all over Italy.
– Development of a client-server application in C for handling the transactions between the mainframe and the agencies through a middle-ware based on Unix.
– Evaluation of tools for network management and security
– Preparation of procedures for the operators and for the maintenance of the computing systems and
– Development of web pages which handled the access to visual basic applications for querying the
Short period of research in the nuclear fission field
Improvement and completion of the neutron diffusion code used at EDF
– Development of a simulation for the microscopic evolution of nuclei in the reactor core, using mathematics models to solve systems of differential equations.
– Validation of the code and of the simulation against real data.
Universite d’Aix-Marseille (Saint Jerome)
1995 – 1996
University of Turin
1987 – 1993